2015 Monarch Butterfly Rearing Roundup
On June 22nd, 2015 I posted a page titled MONARCH BUTTERFLIES ARE EVERYWHERE. At the end of the page I set a goal to raise and release 25 monarch butterflies. "I set a personal goal to raise 2,500% more monarchs in 2015 than I did in 2014." Did I meet my goal?
The 2015 Monarch Butterfly Rearing Roundup lets you know how I did at achieving my goal. I couldn't be more satisfied with the results. Take a look at the following multimedia about the monarchs I raised in the summer of 2015.
Monarch #2 Beckham male WSU tag #3015
Monarch #3 Cali female WSU tag #3013
Monarch #4 Diego male WSU tag #3001
Monarch #5 Eva female WSU tag #3002
Monarch #6 Fernando male WSU tag #3003
Monarch #7 Gail female WSU tag #3004
Monarch #8 Hurley male WSU tag #3008
Monarch #9 Iola female WSU tag #3007
Monarch #10 Jesse male WSU tag #3005
Monarch #11 Katniss female WSU tag #3009
Monarch #12 Leaf female WSU tag #3010
Monarch #13 Macon male WSU tag #3011
Monarch #14 Nancy female WSU tag #3012
Monarch #15 Oakley male WSU tag #3014
Monarch #16 Padraic male WSU tag #3016
Monarch #17 Quest male WSU tag #3017
Monarch #18 Rufus male WSU tag #3018
Monarch #19 Scooby male WSU tag #3019
Monarch #20 Talbot male WSU tag #3020
Monarch #21 Uma female WSU tag #3022
Monarch #22 Viper male WSU tag #3023
Monarch #23 Wadsworth male WSU tag #3024
Monarch #24 Xavier male WSU tag #3025
Monarch #25 Yale male WSU tag #A1651
Monarch #26 Zander male WSU tag #A1652
Monarch #27 Agatha female WSU tag #A1653
Monarch #28 Brad male NO TAG undersized
Monarch #29 Connor male WSU tag #A1654
Monarch #30 Dean male WSU tag #A1655
WSU Tag wild female #3021
WSU Tag wild male #3006
Eva is a special little monarch. She attached to the vertical wall of the enclosure. A slight tilt to the enclosure helped reduce the pressure on the side of her chrysalis. Eva eclosed at 8:00 8/19/15 Meconium ejected at 8:40. Wings look good!
WSU Tag wild female #3021
I successfully raised and released twenty-nine monarchs in 2015. I had two fatalities in my care. One first instar caterpillar may have been eaten by a larger caterpillar. Another caterpillar fell ill, leaked green liquid and quickly dissolved into a black liquid. Presumably it was a bacterial infection. That was a tough loss.
The difficulities were few and the successes far outweighed them. Increasing the amount of milkweed available for monarchs in my yard has created a safe place for them to reproduce. Having a monarch waystation brought the monarchs to the yard throughout the summer months.
Last year I was living in a rental home and the yard was not my own. At the end of the season I relocated my potted milkweed to others in the community. The yard is likely to be overhauled with new plants. New for 2016 is my new house, Milkweed Manor. The landscaping in the backyard was a blank slate. A 180 square foot pollinator garden was incorporated into the landscaping.
The goal in 2016 is to foster an awareness of milkweed as a favored plant in residential landscaping. By growing native milkweed plants in my own yard I can share the value that the garden has to butterflies, birds and bees. If you are interested in locating native milkweed then please use the Milkweed Locator tool.
Brad Grimm at GrowMilkweedPlants.com
Please take a moment to comment
Comments are closed.
Make milkweed your friend. Your friends will love your milkweed. My name is Brad. Learn more about me now.
email Subscriber archive
December 2017 Holiday
June 2015 Monarchs Everywhere
February 2015 Podcast launch
January 2015 Monarch Count
January 2015 Winter 2014
November 2014 - Welcome
October 2014 - Migration